Probiotic foods are those that contain living bacteria. These bacteria are found in fermented foods like yogurt, dhokla, pickles, kimchi, kombucha etc. Besides, you can also get their supplements also come. Probiotic foods are very beneficial for women’s health. Probiotic foods works in boosting immunity, improving digestion, providing relief in constipation as well as helps in relieving stress. These probiotics increase the good bacteria in our gut. So, to begin with let’s first have a look on the primary benefits of Probiotic foods, and then we will see some common and well known foods which contain probiotic bacteria.
Probiotic food supplements increase the good bacteria in the gut. These gut-friendly bacteria improve digestion by breaking down the resistant fibers of the food.
Also read: Biggest Nutrition and Food Myths Busted
The breakdown of Resistant Start produces a compound called butyrate, which helps improve metabolism. Because of which weight management happens. Butyrate also keeps obesity away.
Gut-friendly bacteria makes up the strong immune system in our body. Therefore, probiotic foods further help in boosting the immune system. Autoimmune diseases such as Crohn’s or ulcerative colitis can occur if the body lacks healthy gut-bacteria. Probiotics create natural antibodies in the body.
Due to presence of unhealthy bacteria and lack of good bacteria, estrogen hormone in women gets affected. Estrogen imbalance leads to diseases like PCOS(polycystic ovary syndrome) and infertility. The imbalance of estrogen hormone also causes problems in the menstrual cycle. Probiotic foods balance women’s hormones.
Blood sugar control
Probiotic foods control blood sugar levels. They also work on the good bacteria that reduce inflammation.
Aids in better sleep
The probiotic bacteria Lactobacillus helveticus and Bifidobacterium longum helps in reducing the symptoms of anxiety, along with it, also helps in improving your sleep.
Foods Containing Probiotic Bacteria
- Curd/Yoghurt – Curd contains Lactobacillus acidophilus bacteria and Yoghurt contains Streptococcus thermophilus and Lactobacillus bulgaricus probiotic bacteria.
- Fermented Batter – Batters which are used in the preparation of Indian dishes like Dosa, Idli and Dhokla, are again a good source of probiotic bacteria. Lactic acid bacteria, also known as Lactobacillales are found in this.
- Kanji – It is a healthy fermented, probiotic drink which is made out of carrot, tamarind and some special spices. Lactobacillus plantarum bacteria is found in it.
- Kimchi – This is a Korean salad, which is served as a side dish with the main course. Cabbage is the primary ingredient of this salad. Kimchi is basically fermented cabbage that is flavoured with red chilli flakes, scallions, ginger and garlic. Lactobacillus bacteria are found in it.
- Buttermilk– The chief ingredient of buttermilk is curd. Traditional buttermilk is primarily consumed in South Asian countries like India, Nepal and Pakistan.
- Kombucha – This is a type of fermented black tea or green tea. Acetic acid bacteria are found in Kombucha.
- Pickles– Pickles like gherkins, which are pickled with a solution of salt and water. It is again a significant source of healthy probiotic bacteria. It is also a Vitamin K source, this vitamin is responsible for blood clotting.
Probiotics also help in everything from immunity boosting to weight management. You can also improve your health by taking these foods.